Home

Add a encoder to a stepper motor
(<-- Back to message list)

Barry Golash
Wed, 10 Jan 07 02:13:32 +0000
Hi

I need to add a encoder to a stepper motor that does not
have a dual shaft. I`m wondering if anyone knows of a product
that I could add to this motor. The option is to purchase a
dual shaft motor but I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

Barry

4 replies folowing
Jon Elson
Wed, 10 Jan 07 03:24:27 +0000
Barry Golash wrote:

>Hi
>I need to add a encoder to a stepper motor that does not
>have a dual shaft. I`m wondering if anyone knows of a product
>that I could add to this motor. The option is to purchase a
>dual shaft motor but I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

If there is enough shaft length, put the encoder on the existing shaft.
There are hollow-shaft encoders made just for this purpose.

Jon
dicsEE
Wed, 10 Jan 07 03:57:12 +0000

Joe Amodeo
Wed, 10 Jan 07 03:57:12 +0000
As Jon suggested, if there is enough motor shaft length to work with, you can mount the encoder parallel to the motor shaft. Make a face plate adapter and mount them together on the face plate in parallel. Use a narrow timing belt (1/8) to link the motor shaft to encoder shaft. The remaining shaft sticking out beyond the timing belt pulley should be connected to the lead screw by flexible coupling.
Works for me,
Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Elson
To: DIY-CNC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [DIY-CNC] Add a encoder to a stepper motor

Barry Golash wrote:

>Hi
>I need to add a encoder to a stepper motor that does not
>have a dual shaft. I`m wondering if anyone knows of a product
>that I could add to this motor. The option is to purchase a
>dual shaft motor but I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

If there is enough shaft length, put the encoder on the existing shaft.
There are hollow-shaft encoders made just for this purpose.

Jon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Peter Homann
Wed, 10 Jan 07 10:59:24 +0000
Hi Barry,

I read an article (By Tony Jefree I think) who added a shaft to the back of a
23 stepper by drilling a 1/8" hole into the back of the shaft on a lathe by
holding the stepper via the single shaft on the front.

He then turned up a 1/4" dia shaft with a 1/8" step. This was attached with a
drop of locktite.

Never tried it but it food for thought.

Cheers,

Peter

Barry Golash wrote:

> Hi
> I need to add a encoder to a stepper motor that does not
> have a dual shaft. I`m wondering if anyone knows of a product
> that I could add to this motor. The option is to purchase a
> dual shaft motor but I was looking for a cheaper alternative.
> Barry
> Yahoo! Groups Links

------------------------------------------------------------------
Web: www.homanndesigns.com
email: homann@homanndesigns.com
Phone: +61 421 601 665
www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board

Mark Hinkle
Fri, 12 Jan 07 17:20:13 +0000
Why not add the encoder to the other end of the lead screw?
-Mark

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]