Home

How do you store your pliers
(<-- Back to message list)

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 13:15:50 +0000

I wonder how you store your pliers?

I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
holding one.

But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
Something has to be done.

So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.

The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
around permitted.

I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.

BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ST

34 replies folowing
lcdpublishing
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:17:12 +0000
While I have very organized woodworking tools, most of my other
tools (mechanics and electronics) are in a state of general
dissarray. All mechanics tools are in a tool chest assigned to
drawers by type. Sockets in one drawer, screw drivers in another and
so on. Pliers have their own drawer and are just tossed in there.

Not having a dedicated work area yet for electronics, most of those
tools are stored where there is a place to put them - arghhh.

As for care of pliers and such, most of my tools get plenty of use
in a variety of applications: Woodworking, auto-repair, general
repairs, electronics, etc. I don't think I have ever oiled them
intentionally - rather I suspect they get "oiled' through use. But
gun oil would be a good choice as should sewing machine oil. Sewing
machines need a high-quality, thin oil that shouldn't gum up or
convert to varnish. I am wondering if perhaps something else is
causing the varnish to occur - rosin, rosin fumes?

Chris

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
wrote:

> I wonder how you store your pliers?
> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just

stab them

> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well

positioned

> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not

actually

> holding one.
> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide

variety

> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the

miniature

> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles

down. They

> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling

down as

> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a

different

> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less

often.

> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep

catching.

> Something has to be done.
> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no

delusions

> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most

used

> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the

balance

> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They

would have

> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no

fiddling

> around permitted.
> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch

of my

> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made

a big

> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this

fashion.

> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the

joints,

> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i

have

> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and

grease,

> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like

motor oil

> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST

dicsEE
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:18:54 +0000

JOS Earthlink
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:18:54 +0000
Hi Stefan,

Take a look at the following link. This has worked for me for about 6 of my
commonly used pliers. Also good for keeping a few key screwdrivers nearby.
I like it because it doesn't have to be bolted to the workbench or wall.

Send me a picture of your screwdriver holder.

73 Jerry
K1JOS

-----Original Message-----
From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Stefan Trethan
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:16 AM
To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

I wonder how you store your pliers?

I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
holding one.

But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
Something has to be done.

So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.

The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
around permitted.

I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.

BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ST

Rykhaard D.A.M.I.A.N.
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:25:22 +0000
On 12/2/06, Stefan Trethan wrote:
> I wonder how you store your pliers?

Myself? Haphazardly. Immediately available. :)

> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
> holding one.

> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.

I'm quite curious as to your screwdriver holder and a sketch / picture
of it. :)
Those as well as nut drivers which I don't use as often as my cutting
pliers, cutters and strippers, I would prefer to keep neatly
available.

> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST

As for your pairs of pliers and possibly your cutters (smaller guage)
- how about a miniature version of a fanning file folder? Attached to
a nicely prepared wooden base to give it support - it could fan out
nicely to hold a few pairs - nose down, with the handles sticking out.
If you'd like - I could provide you with a sketch of such, myself. :)

Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Ryk

http://www.sdiy.org/damian/index.html - my modular synth's homepage :)
Syd H. Levine
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:51:57 +0000
The pic at the top left on this page show how some of my pliers are stored
when not in use:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Trethan"
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:15 AM
Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

> I wonder how you store your pliers?
> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
> holding one.
> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
> Something has to be done.
> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
> around permitted.
> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.
> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:55:51 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:18:54 +0100, JOS Earthlink

> Hi Stefan,
> Take a look at the following link. This has worked for me for about 6
> of my
> commonly used pliers. Also good for keeping a few key screwdrivers
> nearby.
> I like it because it doesn't have to be bolted to the workbench or wall.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HYOGHM/nextag-tools-20/ref=nosim
> Send me a picture of your screwdriver holder.
> 73 Jerry
> K1JOS

Hmm, i can see how the two lower rails prevent the pliers from rotating
over. Still, my assortment of pliers is so different in shape many would
still not hold well on this one.

I had a think, and maybe a row of vertical tube pieces would work, with
one handle of each plier stuck into a tube. The handles of most pliers
would work for that, and it should prevent them toppling out in any way.

Made a quick sketch of my screwdriver rack with the PCB software:

I'm afraid i didn't quite catch the likeness of the ergonomic handles ;-)
Also, there are more screwdrivers in reality..
It fits nicely on the side of my stacked scopes, it is held in place by
them.
I find with this arangement of slightly inclined holes drilled in the wood
block i can insert the screwdrivers easier than with a vertical setup.
Also, each driver has it's designated place and i don't need to search
around.

I've still a drawer full of various screwdrivers, but for 99% of the time
i do not need to dig around any more.

ST

Syd H. Levine
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:56:31 +0000
That little gizmo is cute as the dickens!

----- Original Message -----
From: "JOS Earthlink"
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

> Hi Stefan,
> Take a look at the following link. This has worked for me for about 6 of
> my
> commonly used pliers. Also good for keeping a few key screwdrivers
> nearby.
> I like it because it doesn't have to be bolted to the workbench or wall.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HYOGHM/nextag-tools-20/ref=nosim
> Send me a picture of your screwdriver holder.
> 73 Jerry
> K1JOS
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Stefan Trethan
> Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:16 AM
> To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?
> I wonder how you store your pliers?
> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
> holding one.
> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
> Something has to be done.
> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
> around permitted.
> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.
> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 14:57:40 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:17:12 +0100, lcdpublishing
wrote:

> Pliers have their own drawer and are just tossed in there.

Sounds familiar. Only they like to tangle up and i rarely can close the
drawer for the mess of handles and jaws sticking out. If i manage to close
it, i will have trouble opening it again because they'll snag up against
the drawer above.

ST

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 15:13:43 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:51:57 +0100, Syd H. Levine
wrote:

> The pic at the top left on this page show how some of my pliers are
> stored
> when not in use:
> http://www.logwell.com/capabilities/lab_pics.html

Actually i already spied at the pics of your shop before asking, in the
hopes of spotting something that would work for me.
But i don't have the meters of bench you have, and have no "wall space" to
put them.

Thanks

ST

JOS Earthlink
Sat, 02 Dec 06 15:22:20 +0000
Hey, anyone can plaster pegboards all over the place :-)

Seriously, for my work on old amps and vintage radios I find I need only
about 6 pliers for 95% of the work. If I was running a business working on
the same amps and radios ... well it would be the same 6 pliers.

73 Jerry
K1JOS

-----Original Message-----
From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Syd H. Levine
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:57 AM
To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

That little gizmo is cute as the dickens!

----- Original Message -----
From: "JOS Earthlink"
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

> Hi Stefan,
> Take a look at the following link. This has worked for me for about 6 of
> my
> commonly used pliers. Also good for keeping a few key screwdrivers
> nearby.
> I like it because it doesn't have to be bolted to the workbench or wall.

> Send me a picture of your screwdriver holder.
> 73 Jerry
> K1JOS
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Stefan Trethan
> Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:16 AM
> To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?
> I wonder how you store your pliers?
> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
> holding one.
> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
> Something has to be done.
> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
> around permitted.
> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.
> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Norm Carlberg
Sat, 02 Dec 06 15:41:17 +0000
LPS 2 Spray Lube for pliers

Safe on rubber, paint and most plastics.
Nondrying oily film.
Nonflammable.
Nonconductive.
Non odorous.

Norm

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Trethan"
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:15 AM
Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

> I wonder how you store your pliers?
> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab them
> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
> holding one.
> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide variety
> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the miniature
> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down as
> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a different
> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
> Something has to be done.
> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
> around permitted.
> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.
> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the joints,
> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> ST

Syd H. Levine
Sat, 02 Dec 06 15:41:39 +0000
I bet I regularly use no more than six pairs of pliers myself. But I sure
love my pegboard...

----- Original Message -----
From: "JOS Earthlink"
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 10:22 AM
Subject: RE: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?

> Hey, anyone can plaster pegboards all over the place :-)
> Seriously, for my work on old amps and vintage radios I find I need only
> about 6 pliers for 95% of the work. If I was running a business working
> on
> the same amps and radios ... well it would be the same 6 pliers.
> 73 Jerry
> K1JOS
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Syd H. Levine
> Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:57 AM
> To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?
> That little gizmo is cute as the dickens!
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "JOS Earthlink"
> To:
> Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:18 AM
> Subject: RE: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?
>> Hi Stefan,
>> Take a look at the following link. This has worked for me for about 6 of
>> my
>> commonly used pliers. Also good for keeping a few key screwdrivers
>> nearby.
>> I like it because it doesn't have to be bolted to the workbench or wall.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HYOGHM/nextag-tools-20/ref=nosim
>> Send me a picture of your screwdriver holder.
>> 73 Jerry
>> K1JOS
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
>> [mailto:Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Stefan Trethan
>> Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:16 AM
>> To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [Electronics_101] How do you store your pliers?
>> I wonder how you store your pliers?
>> I made a nice holder for screwdrivers where i can basically just stab
>> them
>> in. This has helped a lot with me finding them. It is so well positioned
>> that i can put them back practically all the time when i'm not actually
>> holding one.
>> But i'm wondering about pliers. Is there a good way to keep a wide
>> variety
>> of pliers? I keep the normal sized ones in a drawer now, and the
>> miniature
>> ones are put on the edge of a vertical plate with the handles down. They
>> keep tangling in the drawer and the miniature pliers keep tumbling down
>> as
>> well. I'd like to find a better solution. Larger pliers are in a
>> different
>> drawer alltogether but they may stay there since i need them less often.
>> Some of the pliers are actually stuck in the spaces between bench
>> instruments, but that's no good either because the leads keep catching.
>> Something has to be done.
>> So how do you guys keep them pliers straightened out? I have no delusions
>> about keeping all my pliers that accessible, but at least the most used
>> ones should be easily accessible and easy to put back again.
>> The problem is the different shapes of heads and handles, and the balance
>> of them is such that they are difficult to keep it seems. They would have
>> to be stored so that it is _really_ easy to get and put them, no fiddling
>> around permitted.
>> I hope someone has a good solution. I can make a picture or sketch of my
>> screwdriver holder if someone is interested, that has really made a big
>> difference for me and commercial models are not made in this fashion.
>> BTW on the care of pliers: i used to use sewing machine oil on the
>> joints,
>> but that tends to vanish rather quickly. For the last few months i have
>> tried LSA semifluid gun oil, which is somewhere between oil and grease,
>> and had much better results, so far. I think a heavier oil like motor oil
>> might have worked too, but the LSA seems fine.
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>> ST
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 15:49:14 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:41:17 +0100, Norm Carlberg

> LPS 2 Spray Lube for pliers
> Safe on rubber, paint and most plastics.
> Nondrying oily film.
> Nonflammable.
> Nonconductive.
> Non odorous.
> http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/Lubricants/Lps2.asp
> http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/TDS/LPS%202.pdf
> Norm

I've had rather disappointing results with spray lubricants.
The one you suggest is probably of a better quality than what i tried
though.

ST

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 16:13:22 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:22:20 +0100, JOS Earthlink
wrote:

> Hey, anyone can plaster pegboards all over the place :-)
> Seriously, for my work on old amps and vintage radios I find I need only
> about 6 pliers for 95% of the work. If I was running a business working
> on
> the same amps and radios ... well it would be the same 6 pliers.
> 73 Jerry
> K1JOS

Yes, 6 to 10 pliers, and maybe the same number of miniature pliers, would
cover 95% of my needs too and the others could be kept in the drawers.

I think i just figured out what i'll do.
I'll take wood blocks and drill a row of large holes into them. into each
hole one handle of a pair of pliers will go.
The blocks will be attached to the upright holding the light, to the right
of the scopes, which already holds the test lead comb far above.

Will go about making that tomorrow since i must search a drill large
enough for the holes.

ST

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 17:28:27 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:25:22 +0100, Rykhaard D.A.M.I.A.N.
wrote:

> Haphazardly. Immediately available. :)

Haphazardly - yes!

Immediately available - as soon as i find them!

;-)

ST

Mariss Freimanis
Sat, 02 Dec 06 19:29:26 +0000
Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where you last
used them.

If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually are at
the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't find
them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.

Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of hiding.

Mariss

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:25:22 +0100, Rykhaard D.A.M.I.A.N.
> wrote:
> > Haphazardly. Immediately available. :)
> Haphazardly - yes!
> Immediately available - as soon as i find them!
> ;-)
> ST

Giuliani
Sat, 02 Dec 06 19:53:54 +0000
I agree. Look at MY system! :-)

Bye.
Giuliano

----- Original Message -----
From: Mariss Freimanis
To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:29 PM
Subject: [Electronics_101] Re: How do you store your pliers?

Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where you last
used them.

If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually are at
the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't find
them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.

Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of hiding.

Mariss

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 19:55:24 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 20:29:26 +0100, Mariss Freimanis
wrote:

> Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where you last
> used them.
> If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually are at
> the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't find
> them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.
> Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of hiding.
> Mariss

I'm tired of buying a new set of pliers every time i can't find them.
There must be at least 4 complete sets of miniature pliers around here...
somewhere... which i remember... ;-)

One time when i cleaned up the mess here i filled half a drawer with
tape-measures. You can be sure as hell that there was _never_ a single one
around when i needed it.

I'm extremely bad with putting things back where they belong, but it is
easier if they have a proper place that is easy to reach.
It's also much better if they have a _specific_ spot or holder where they
are supposed to be, not just "somewhere in that drawer".

Anyway, i found in general tools are much more useful if i can find them.
;-)
I'm all the time breaking out spare tools or fetching them from somewhere
else when i can't find something, that really isn't fun any more. Remember
that digital caliper i bought only a few months back? Well, i don't. At
least not where it is now. Good thing i bought a spare.

I should tie bungee cords to everything that yank the stuff back where it
belongs as soon as i let go of it ;-)

ST

lcdpublishing
Sat, 02 Dec 06 20:56:17 +0000
Oh so true!

However, I think Stefan is onto something with his earlier thought
about the tubes where you insert one side of the handle into it.
That would hold up any of the pliers I have on hand and it would be
easy to grab them when needed (as opposed to the hunt and grab
method).

I am still pouting about Stefans screw driver description....

The holder is on the side of the scope(S) - notice he said scope(S),
not next to THE scope, but more than one scope. I am sitting here
with a broken down old beat up scope that only works when it feels
like it - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SCOPES!!!!!!

Stefan, the phrase "He who ends up with the most scopes when he
dies, wins!" comes to mind :-)

-- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Mariss Freimanis"
wrote:

> Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where you

> used them.
> If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually

are at

> the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't find
> them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.
> Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of

hiding.

> Mariss
> --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:25:22 +0100, Rykhaard D.A.M.I.A.N.
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Haphazardly. Immediately available. :)
> >
> >
> > Haphazardly - yes!
> >
> > Immediately available - as soon as i find them!
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > ST
> >

Stefan Trethan
Sat, 02 Dec 06 21:48:14 +0000
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:56:17 +0100, lcdpublishing

> Oh so true!
> However, I think Stefan is onto something with his earlier thought
> about the tubes where you insert one side of the handle into it.
> That would hold up any of the pliers I have on hand and it would be
> easy to grab them when needed (as opposed to the hunt and grab
> method).

I have replaced the tubes idea (like a pan flute or stalin organ) with
deep holes into wood blocks. I already tried with a log of firewood and it
seems a good method. You can easily take out or put back the pliers
without fiddling, since you only need to let go of one handle which can be
done with one hand easily.
I tried two parallel holes to accomodate both handles but it gets much
more fiddly. Also this way i will have a clear view on the head of the
pliers to identify them. It took a few days with the screwdrivers until i
remembered which was where, but now i can grab the right one without
looking up.
The pliers will pivot around a bit with the free handle, but i expect this
will actually be positive since it should give easy access even if i space
the holes closely together.
I'm not yet certain if it is better to drill the block through or have
blind holes.

I'm a very messy any lazy person, and if i have learnt one thing then it
is that stuff must be stored so i don't have to move anything else to get
to it. Stacked boxes are BAD, Shelves are GOOD. Drawers filled to the brim
are bad also. Only if it is no more effort to put it back were it belongs
than just dropping it on the table i have any chance of finding it again
sometime soon.

> I am still pouting about Stefans screw driver description....
> The holder is on the side of the scope(S) - notice he said scope(S),
> not next to THE scope, but more than one scope. I am sitting here
> with a broken down old beat up scope that only works when it feels
> like it - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SCOPES!!!!!!
> Stefan, the phrase "He who ends up with the most scopes when he
> dies, wins!" comes to mind :-)

Hey, i only have those two (and a bad handheld one). Buy another and you
are a two-scope owner too!

ST

lcdpublishing
Sat, 02 Dec 06 22:19:52 +0000
There is an old saying

"A place for everything and everything in it's place"

Which I believe was from the Shakers. Anyway, in practice it
actually works ;-)

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 20:29:26 +0100, Mariss Freimanis
> wrote:
> > Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where

you last

> > used them.
> > If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually

are at

> > the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't

find

> > them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.
> > Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of

hiding.

> > Mariss
> I'm tired of buying a new set of pliers every time i can't find

them.

> There must be at least 4 complete sets of miniature pliers around

here...

> somewhere... which i remember... ;-)
> One time when i cleaned up the mess here i filled half a drawer

with

> tape-measures. You can be sure as hell that there was _never_ a

single one

> around when i needed it.
> I'm extremely bad with putting things back where they belong, but

it is

> easier if they have a proper place that is easy to reach.
> It's also much better if they have a _specific_ spot or holder

where they

> are supposed to be, not just "somewhere in that drawer".
> Anyway, i found in general tools are much more useful if i can

find them.

> ;-)
> I'm all the time breaking out spare tools or fetching them from

somewhere

> else when i can't find something, that really isn't fun any more.

Remember

> that digital caliper i bought only a few months back? Well, i

don't. At

> least not where it is now. Good thing i bought a spare.
> I should tie bungee cords to everything that yank the stuff back

where it

> belongs as soon as i let go of it ;-)
> ST

lcdpublishing
Sat, 02 Dec 06 22:24:35 +0000
Blind holes are always a bad idea for me. It always seems as though
something drops down in that hole that I don't want there - getting
it out is always more work than needed. In the case of your pliers,
I don't see it as much of a problem with them dropping into the hole
so they rest on the hinge pin section where the two handles meet.
Just keep the distance from the hole, to the near edge of the wood
to a minimum and you should be good to go. I suspect that when I
finally get an electronics work bench setup, I will be doing the
same thing.

Two scopes hey, well my fingers are crossed that I will have at
least one good one by mid-summer.

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:56:17 +0100, lcdpublishing
> wrote:
> > Oh so true!
> > However, I think Stefan is onto something with his earlier

thought

> > about the tubes where you insert one side of the handle into it.
> > That would hold up any of the pliers I have on hand and it would

be

> > easy to grab them when needed (as opposed to the hunt and grab
> > method).
> I have replaced the tubes idea (like a pan flute or stalin organ)

with

> deep holes into wood blocks. I already tried with a log of

firewood and it

> seems a good method. You can easily take out or put back the

pliers

> without fiddling, since you only need to let go of one handle

which can be

> done with one hand easily.
> I tried two parallel holes to accomodate both handles but it gets

much

> more fiddly. Also this way i will have a clear view on the head of

the

> pliers to identify them. It took a few days with the screwdrivers

until i

> remembered which was where, but now i can grab the right one

without

> looking up.
> The pliers will pivot around a bit with the free handle, but i

expect this

> will actually be positive since it should give easy access even if

i space

> the holes closely together.
> I'm not yet certain if it is better to drill the block through or

have

> blind holes.
> I'm a very messy any lazy person, and if i have learnt one thing

then it

> is that stuff must be stored so i don't have to move anything else

to get

> to it. Stacked boxes are BAD, Shelves are GOOD. Drawers filled to

the brim

> are bad also. Only if it is no more effort to put it back were it

belongs

> than just dropping it on the table i have any chance of finding it

again

> sometime soon.
> > I am still pouting about Stefans screw driver description....
> > The holder is on the side of the scope(S) - notice he said scope

(S),

> > not next to THE scope, but more than one scope. I am sitting

here

> > with a broken down old beat up scope that only works when it

feels

> > like it - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SCOPES!!!!!!
> > Stefan, the phrase "He who ends up with the most scopes when he
> > dies, wins!" comes to mind :-)
> Hey, i only have those two (and a bad handheld one). Buy another

and you

> are a two-scope owner too!
> ST

jamesgeidl
Sun, 03 Dec 06 00:46:34 +0000
I uploaded a couple pictures in the picture section under Jim's Junk of
a little stand I made for my wife's jeweler's pliers. She loves it.

Jim

Ron Yost
Sun, 03 Dec 06 03:27:36 +0000
I just straddle 'em over the rim of a small metal food can. The pliers
stay (mostly) upright, too. Center of can gets the most-used larger
screwdrivers, nutdrivers, etc. Tiny drivers are in their own smallish
plastic jars/containers. Note, if one has pliers with opening springs
the can rim method may not be suitable for them .. depends on their
design.

I've thought of making a can-in-a-can, where the center can would hold
screwdrivers and the outer can's rim would hold the pliers, with one
handle dropping into the gap getween the cans. Haven't gotten 'round
to it yet, tho.

Tried the hole-in-wood method but, due to the curve in the handles, I
found they tend to hang-up a little. I probably should have tried larger
holes (or thinner wood), but I like the can better anyway for my use.
I have a deep bench (also used for woodworking), so it's a stretch
to reach things mounted on the back wall.

Ron Yost

Joseph Plowick Jr.
Sun, 03 Dec 06 04:28:04 +0000
You stop losing tools when you have enough.

Dr Joe

Mariss Freimanis wrote:
Pliers are handtools for goodness sakes! You leave them where you last
used them.

If I can't find them I start an archeological dig. They usually are at
the stratum depth where they were last used. If I still can't find
them I remind myself a tidy person posseses a dull mind.

Buying a new pair makes the lost pair immediately come out of hiding.

Mariss

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:25:22 +0100, Rykhaard D.A.M.I.A.N.
> wrote:
> > Haphazardly. Immediately available. :)
> Haphazardly - yes!
> Immediately available - as soon as i find them!
> ;-)
> ST

---------------------------------
Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

jverive
Sun, 03 Dec 06 13:48:33 +0000
Well, that's the last straw! I'm just going to have to marry you myself. Tell your wife that she needs to be on her best behavior, or else ...

- Jeff

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "jamesgeidl" wrote:

> I uploaded a couple pictures in the picture section under Jim's Junk of
> a little stand I made for my wife's jeweler's pliers. She loves it.
> Jim

Joseph Plowick Jr.
Sun, 03 Dec 06 14:16:44 +0000
How does she get away with so few pliers?! Soon as my camera's back I'll send in mine.

Dr Joe

jverive wrote:

- Jeff

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "jamesgeidl" wrote:

> I uploaded a couple pictures in the picture section under Jim's Junk of
> a little stand I made for my wife's jeweler's pliers. She loves it.
> Jim

---------------------------------
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

James M.\(Jim\) Geidl
Sun, 03 Dec 06 15:16:23 +0000
Jeff,

Well, that's a tough offer to resist (NOT) but I'll do my best.

Jim

Well, that's the last straw! I'm just going to have to marry you myself.
Tell your wife that she needs to be on her best behavior, or else ...

- Jeff

=35913/stime=1165153878/nc1=4025375/nc2=3848542/nc3=3>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

James M.\(Jim\) Geidl
Sun, 03 Dec 06 15:17:38 +0000
Dr. Joe,

These are the ones she use constantly. The tool cabinet has the others. :-(

Jim

How does she get away with so few pliers?! Soon as my camera's back I'll
send in mine.

Dr Joe

=35914/stime=1165155450/nc1=4025370/nc2=3848525/nc3=3>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

academician@talk21.com
Sun, 03 Dec 06 19:38:47 +0000
Hi all,

I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue sice I first saw the picture of the holder...

I hate political correctness and trying to make everything ridiculously safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about that design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely held, but POINTS upwards.

Some of my pliars come to surprisingly sharp points. Apart from falling onto your rack of pliars or fainting, etc - All of which are pretty unlikely admitted, I can think there is a slight chance of standing on them and impaling your foot if you were to place it on the group. MUCH more likely (and what caused me to stop storing mine in that fashion) is that when placing pliars back in the rack while you are busy, you often don't pay attention and scrape or even cut you hand putting a pair back. I just got fed up of this in the end and store mine in a drawer of a very large set of red metal "mechanics" chests.

Thinking about the design, would it be possible to re-work the idea slightly? Instead of a bar, how about a piece of thin-ish wood, so no thicker than a floorboard, with holes about 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter (perhaps even several sizes for different sized pliars?, so they can be stored points down.

If you are posh and own a router, or don't mind a little bit of extra work, you could cut slots, perhaps even at an angle to make selecting and grabbing a pair of pliars easier?

Sorry, I'll go back in my corner now...

Best wishes to all!

Tony

---------------------------------
Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" The Wall Street Journal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Joseph Plowick Jr.
Sun, 03 Dec 06 19:59:33 +0000
Just remember...Don't Drink and Plier...

"academician@talk21.com" wrote: Hi all,

Sorry, I'll go back in my corner now...

Best wishes to all!

Tony

---------------------------------

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

---------------------------------
Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stefan Trethan
Sun, 03 Dec 06 20:30:35 +0000
The problem is that i have different pliers with all sorts of heads.
The business ends are such a huge variety of shapes that no possible
receptacle could suit them all, one would need to customize them. What if
i damage or lose one pair, a new one might not fit. Also, if the business
end is inside a hole it can not be identified by looking at.

I am not afraid of impaling my feet, because i rarely walk on top of my
workbench (only if i want to change the light).
Falling on them would be a possibility though.

As for cutting the hand while accessing the pliers, well, that may be a
danger. The prudent way to approach the plier bay will surely be at or
below handle height, and grab the beast from below where it can't reach
around to snap at my fingers. Same for replacing the pliers, only in
reverse.

None of the pliers i have are sufficiently sharp to cause grave injury
unless i fall on them, and i will endeavor to fall somewhere else should
the occassion arise.

Anyway, i am not that concerned. it seems much more dangerous to keep them
in their drawer where the business ends stick up at odd angles. These are
normal desk drawers not the shallow tool drawers that you use which keep
the tools flat in a layer only one tool deep.

No, i think in this case i will just have to take a risk. ;-)

ST

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:38:47 +0100, academician@talk21.com

> Hi all,
> I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue sice I
> first saw the picture of the holder...
> I hate political correctness and trying to make everything ridiculously
> safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about that
> design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely held, but
> POINTS upwards.
> Some of my pliars come to surprisingly sharp points. Apart from falling
> onto your rack of pliars or fainting, etc - All of which are pretty
> unlikely admitted, I can think there is a slight chance of standing on
> them and impaling your foot if you were to place it on the group. MUCH
> more likely (and what caused me to stop storing mine in that fashion) is
> that when placing pliars back in the rack while you are busy, you often
> don't pay attention and scrape or even cut you hand putting a pair back.
> I just got fed up of this in the end and store mine in a drawer of a
> very large set of red metal "mechanics" chests.
> Thinking about the design, would it be possible to re-work the idea
> slightly? Instead of a bar, how about a piece of thin-ish wood, so no
> thicker than a floorboard, with holes about 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter
> (perhaps even several sizes for different sized pliars?, so they can be
> stored points down.
> If you are posh and own a router, or don't mind a little bit of extra
> work, you could cut slots, perhaps even at an angle to make selecting
> and grabbing a pair of pliars easier?
> Sorry, I'll go back in my corner now...
> Best wishes to all!
> Tony

lcdpublishing
Sun, 03 Dec 06 21:51:21 +0000
Tony, there are some people in the world who are not afraid to run
with scissors ;-)

If you think that is dangerous the DO NOT run any power tools of any
sort - do not walk across the street in Las Vegas - do not drive or
ride in a car, etc., etc., etc.,

Everything we do has risks, we can't live in a bubble wrapped world!

Chris

> > Hi all,
> > I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue sice

I

> > first saw the picture of the holder...
> > I hate political correctness and trying to make everything

ridiculously

> > safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about

that

> > design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely

held, but

> > POINTS upwards.

LT Ron Wright
Mon, 04 Dec 06 15:10:39 +0000
Tony,

I think it comes down like with soldering irons...one has to know
which end to hold. Some tools are pointed for a reason.

When it comes to tools I understand your concern.

73, ron, n9ee/r

--- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
wrote:

> The problem is that i have different pliers with all sorts of

heads.

> The business ends are such a huge variety of shapes that no

possible

> receptacle could suit them all, one would need to customize them.

What if

> i damage or lose one pair, a new one might not fit. Also, if the

business

> end is inside a hole it can not be identified by looking at.
> I am not afraid of impaling my feet, because i rarely walk on top

of my

> workbench (only if i want to change the light).
> Falling on them would be a possibility though.
> As for cutting the hand while accessing the pliers, well, that may

be a

> danger. The prudent way to approach the plier bay will surely be

at or

> below handle height, and grab the beast from below where it can't

reach

> around to snap at my fingers. Same for replacing the pliers, only

in

> reverse.
> None of the pliers i have are sufficiently sharp to cause grave

injury

> unless i fall on them, and i will endeavor to fall somewhere else

should

> the occassion arise.
> Anyway, i am not that concerned. it seems much more dangerous to

keep them

> in their drawer where the business ends stick up at odd angles.

These are

> normal desk drawers not the shallow tool drawers that you use

which keep

> the tools flat in a layer only one tool deep.
> No, i think in this case i will just have to take a risk. ;-)
> ST
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:38:47 +0100, academician@...
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue

sice I

> > first saw the picture of the holder...
> > I hate political correctness and trying to make everything

ridiculously

> > safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about

that

> > design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely

held, but

> > POINTS upwards.
> > Some of my pliars come to surprisingly sharp points. Apart from

falling

> > onto your rack of pliars or fainting, etc - All of which are

pretty

> > unlikely admitted, I can think there is a slight chance of

standing on

> > them and impaling your foot if you were to place it on the

group. MUCH

> > more likely (and what caused me to stop storing mine in that

fashion) is

> > that when placing pliars back in the rack while you are busy,

you often

> > don't pay attention and scrape or even cut you hand putting a

pair back.

> > I just got fed up of this in the end and store mine in a drawer

of a

> > very large set of red metal "mechanics" chests.
> > Thinking about the design, would it be possible to re-work the

idea

> > slightly? Instead of a bar, how about a piece of thin-ish wood,

so no

> > thicker than a floorboard, with holes about 2 - 2 1/2" in

diameter

> > (perhaps even several sizes for different sized pliars?, so they

can be

> > stored points down.
> > If you are posh and own a router, or don't mind a little bit of

extra

> > work, you could cut slots, perhaps even at an angle to make

selecting

> > and grabbing a pair of pliars easier?
> > Sorry, I'll go back in my corner now...
> > Best wishes to all!
> > Tony

academician@talk21.com
Mon, 04 Dec 06 21:10:39 +0000
OK Guys - I knew you'd take it that way!

Surprisingly, you don't tend to injure yourself when they are in a drawer, as you have to LOOK at them to get the right pair. So you don't end up scraping your knuckles so often.

I DO walk on my workbench - To reach things stored high up occasionally, but I did actually say if you were to put it on the floor, it was a slight possibility you might stand on it...

As I said, I hate all this trying to prevent all eventuallities as much as everyone else, as it goes to ridiculous lengths - As you so rightly say, you would end up never using power tools or anything like that. The main reason for my e-mail was simply that I tried it and kept scraping my knuckles and occasionally cutting myself. Not to begin with, but after a few months as famiuliarity does breed contempt - Or more accurately, carelessness in this case.

OK, I'm a big man and had more than my fair share of cuts and breaks over the years, so the cuts and scrapes were not life-threatening - Just annoying after about a year.

I see the problem with slots instead though. I had envisaged slots about 1/2" wide and perhaps 2" long for the small stuff and 3" for the larger ones. Not as elegant as the original and a mild irritation in that they would always have to be turned the right way up to use them and back the other way up to put them away.

OK, perhaps it was just me - Perhaps I had the rack too packed with pliars/cutters etc. and that was why I kept getting scrapes. Hopefully you will get along with yours a lot better than I did mine anyway.

Best wishes,

Tony

> Hi all,
> I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue sice I
> first saw the picture of the holder...
> I hate political correctness and trying to make everything

ridiculously

> safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about that
> design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely held,

but

> POINTS upwards.
> Some of my pliars come to surprisingly sharp points. Apart from

falling

> onto your rack of pliars or fainting, etc - All of which are pretty
> unlikely admitted, I can think there is a slight chance of standing

on

> them and impaling your foot if you were to place it on the group.

MUCH

> more likely (and what caused me to stop storing mine in that fashion)

is

> that when placing pliars back in the rack while you are busy, you

often

> don't pay attention and scrape or even cut you hand putting a pair

back.

> I just got fed up of this in the end and store mine in a drawer of a
> very large set of red metal "mechanics" chests.
> Thinking about the design, would it be possible to re-work the idea
> slightly? Instead of a bar, how about a piece of thin-ish wood, so no
> thicker than a floorboard, with holes about 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter
> (perhaps even several sizes for different sized pliars?, so they can

be

> stored points down.
> If you are posh and own a router, or don't mind a little bit of

extra

> work, you could cut slots, perhaps even at an angle to make selecting
> and grabbing a pair of pliars easier?
> Sorry, I'll go back in my corner now...
> Best wishes to all!
> Tony

Messages in this topic (33)
________________________________________________________________________

3h. Re: How do you store your pliers?
Posted by: "lcdpublishing" lcdpublishing@yahoo.com lcdpublishing
Date: Sun Dec 3, 2006 2:01 pm ((PST))

Tony, there are some people in the world who are not afraid to run
with scissors ;-)

If you think that is dangerous the DO NOT run any power tools of any
sort - do not walk across the street in Las Vegas - do not drive or
ride in a car, etc., etc., etc.,

Everything we do has risks, we can't live in a bubble wrapped world!

Chris

> > Hi all,
> > I really HATE to mention this as I've been biting my tongue sice

I

> > first saw the picture of the holder...
> > I hate political correctness and trying to make everything

ridiculously

> > safe as much as everyone else, but there is just something about

that

> > design that sets my teeth on edge. The pliars are all securely

held, but

> > POINTS upwards.

---------------------------------
All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]